Thursday, April 5, 2007

Happy Easter!

Ok, Easter is this weekend and there is something about this holiday that I truly love. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, but I think Easter comes in a close second. A lot of people seem to think that the most important Christian holiday is Christmas. It's the day we celebrate Christ's birth. But I don't agree with that. Easter is when we celebrate Jesus death on the cross followed by Him rising from the grave. This is the most important part of my faith. It is why I believe. Anyone can follow a dead person, but I am lead by a risen Savior!!! He is alive!! What other religion can claim that???

So, because I feel that way, I like to go to services for Maundy Thursday (aka Holy Thursday - it commemorates the last supper that Jesus had with the apostles) and Good Friday as well as the Easter service that's at my church (Third Baptist in Murfreesboro, TN ~ feel free to check us out!). Well, 3BC isn't having a Good Friday service. It kind of throws me off. Pretty much every church back home has a Good Friday service. Maundy Thursday isn't as common so I don't expect it from most churches. It's truly something that only a few denominations even observe. But Good Friday!! I don't think I'd ever even heard of a church not having a good Friday service until I moved to Tennessee. Is it a northern thing? Do protestant churches in Chicago have Good Friday services only for the reason that catholic churches do? I understand that Christians celebrate Easter because it represents the day that Jesus conquered death and rose up from the grave. It is the truth behind my salvation.

But isn't it important to remember that He died first?

He died.

He was dead and rose up again from the grave!! It's the story of life. My life. He died and He lives. It's the ultimate symbol of Christianity. We were dead. We were dying. And now thanks to the miracle of Jesus death and life, I will live eternally in heaven!! I was dead, but now am alive in the name of Christ Jesus. The Messiah. The Savior to all. Born in a manger, killed on a cross, and brought back to life by God the Father. He ascended into heaved and left us with the Holy Spirit here on earth to restore our hearts and to help us stay strong in the knowledge that one day God will come back and claim His bride. His bride the church. He will make a new heaven and a new hell and will remove the sin from this earth. And we will live in perfection basking in the amazing glory and knowledge of the fact that we will be able to spend eternity praising the name of the Father. And shouting His honor and glory and love.

He loves me

He died for me

He will return for me

I will live with Him forever

And all I had to do was ask.

No comments: