Friday, December 3, 2010

Day 3 of 25: Handel's Messiah

George Frideric Handel, they say, wrote the Messiah in 24 days! Pretty intense considering the effort it must have taken. It is based on the Bible from the prophecy of Christ through His birth and future Glorification! I used to go with my parents every year to watch it performed at a church in the Chicagoland area and one year I watched my best friend perfom as a soloist in it at Moody Church in Chicago!

The story goes that when King George II saw the Hallelujah Chorus performed he was moved so much that he stood up for the entirety of it and when he stood, all that were there stood with him. So it's now a multi-century old tradition to stand when you hear... This video of the Hallelujah Chorus has gone completely viral and I know millions have seen it, but I think its worth watching again and hearing about Jesus. My King of Kings and Lord of Lords. HALLELUJAH indeed!!

2 comments:

Amanda Savage said...

Dearest Joy -
I had no clue that this would bring tears to my eyes for several reasons. I first of all, love the woman who gave a stank face to the start of the woman singing, to her taking her sons hand around mid point. Second, the idea of people coming together to do that just brings real joy to my life. From Oprah getting all of Michigan Ave to dance with the Black Eyed Peas to this, I love unity! And last, a selfish reason. My vocal chords that would allow me to have high pitch were damaged during one or both of my surgeries. Took a song like this for me to really know that I could never hit notes like that again. Made me think of Timothy and singing in such unity with my classmates and Christmastide would now be an alto part for me. Thank you for sharing this. I really did enjoy every moment, even if a few moments included a selfish missing of my voice. I cannot wait to see all of your 25 days of Christmas!

Joy said...

Oh Lovely Friend-

This comment brought some tears to my eyes. I had no idea about the damage to your vocal chords... I'll always have memories of you singing (and choir freshman year). I love that even if its alto, you'll still be singing. I'm sure your babies love to hear you and sing with you. Praying for you always... J