Thursday, December 15, 2011

Day#2 - In the Bleak Mid-Winter

Is it just me or does it seem that every year brings a new Christmas song that you seemingly hear everywhere? Not necessarily a brand new song; perhaps something old that just seems to all of the sudden be popping up everywhere. This year, for me, it has been In the Bleak Mid-Winter. Our church choir sang it at our Carols of Christmas program where our Worship Minister shared about how this song was originally a poem that someone wrote music for. I shared the poem below the video so you could really read/hear the words/lyrics. I think it's hauntingly beautiful.... What songs have been following you around this year?



In the Bleak Mid-Winter
Words: Christina Rosetti
Music: CRANHAM (Gustav Holst)

In the bleak midwinter,
frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron,
water like a stone;

Snow had fallen, snow on snow,
snow on snow,
In the bleak midwinter, long ago.

Our God, heaven cannot hold Him,
nor earth sustain;
Heaven and earth shall flee away
when He comes to reign.

In the bleak midwinter
a stable place sufficed
The Lord God Almighty, Jesus Christ.

Angels and archangels
may have gathered there,
Cherubim and seraphim
thronged the air;

But His mother only,
in her maiden bliss,
Worshipped the beloved with a kiss.

What can I give Him,
poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd,
I would bring a lamb;

If I were a Wise Man,
I would do my part;
Yet what I can give Him: give my heart.

No comments: