Tuesday, September 11, 2007

9/11

6 years ago, I worked the 6:45 am to 3 pm shift in the drive-thru at Community Bank Wheaton/Glen Ellyn. I was helping my first customer of the day (who happened to be a board member of the bank) and he asked me if I had a radio in the drive thru. I said yes, and he told me that I had better turn it on. The first tower had been hit and the second one was hit shortly after I turned on the radio.

It really scared me.

I've never seen Chicago so deserted in my life.

But instead of being gloomy today like I normally am in my 9/11 blogs, I've decided to be positive and tell you all how God has blessed my family with life.

*When my dad was in Vietnam, he was sick and his commanding officer told him to stay in and had someone else do my dad's guard duty shift. The other guy was killed while on duty... I would have not existed if it had been my dad.

*On Sept. 11, 2001 my aunt and uncle's flight was grounded at O'Hare. They had reservations to eat lunch on the observation deck of the twin towers that day... what a difference a few hours makes.

*My brother and sister in law ended up having a hurricane barely miss them while on their honeymoon in 2004. They caught a flight out just in time... I had only moved to TN 8 days before.

*When the MN bridge collapsed, my uncle and cousin both should have been on it... my uncle was held back by a church function, and my cousin and her coworkers decided to take a different way home(for no reason).

God has spared my family... so instead of a morose blog, I say Hallelujah!!!

He is and AWESOME God!!!!

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Amen, sister. My sister worked in the first tower, but she was late going into work that morning. She watched it all from the SI Ferry.
My brother was in DC at School and you could see the Pentagon from his window. He was ok, too. When I finally got through to my mom in Chicago (who let me know everyone was okay), she kept saying, "I'm so glad you're safe and sound in Colombia [drug capital of the world]" The irony made me stop freaking out for one second to laugh.

The Lord gives and He takes away. Every breath is a testimony to His great mercy.