Monday, March 2, 2009

Happy Birthday Theodore Giesel

Today would have been Theodore Giesel's 105th birthday! Why is this a big deal, you ask? It's such a big deal because Theodore Giesel is one of the reasons I love reading so much... one of my FAVORITE authors!

Probably one of yours, too...

You may know him better as Dr. Seuss. The goofy genius behind Hop on Pop, Green Eggs and Ham, The Grinch Who Stole Christmas, One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish; and my personal favorites The Lorax and The Sneetches.

I wrote a Seuss-like poem in honor of his day and thought I would share it with you.

Joy's Ode to Dr. Seuss Books

I could read them
In a chair
Or right next to
A big old bear

I could read them
near a tree
while listening to
a buzzing bee

I could read them
laying down
and on my face
never a frown

I could read them
in a zoo
next to a monkey
or striped kangaroo

I have put down
my ball and bat
and read tales of
a mischievous cat

fun stories filled
with turtles named yertle
and all about pockets
filled with wockets

of places you go
and things you'll see
and I'll never forget
that book about me

of Horton and who's
and lorax and sneetches
of sam I am's
and foxes in sockses

of all Dr. Seuss's
creative mind benders
and ram shackled thoughts
flim-foozeled with splendors

I'm thankful each day
since the time I could listen
for his brilliant prose
that make memories glisten


In honor of the man who made our childhoods so much fun, you can print pages and color them with some crayola crayons (another childhood favorite for me!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so talented Joy! It's been so neat reconnecting with you on facebook and through your blog. I get inspired by you! Just thought you should know... :)

-Kris Heerema