Friday, September 17, 2010

Struggles and Burdens

Galatians 6:2 says, “Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.”

I have friends that do this for me often, but right now there is one in particular that comes to mind…

Beverly has run half marathons. At least 3 (that I know of), and wanting to train for one in December and then I’m assuming the country Music half next April.

She laughs when I tell her she could run circles around me, but I still think it’s a legitimate statement.

But, when I realized my need for accountability when I decided to again start training for a 5k I asked Beverly to run/walk with me. She agreed and she has been a great support to me!

Even when I feel like I hold her back, or my knees or back start to hurt. She was the one that suggested that we take time just to walk for a while so my knees can get used to the pavement and get stronger.

And they are.

But we’re going to pace ourselves so that while she’s running the 5k in October, I’ll be able to walk it. And then maybe we’ll start up running again so I can at least possibly run/walk the 5k I’m doing with fleet feet in November. And Then I’ll be able to keep going and finally actually run a 5k.

She’s so motivating that she’s starting to convince me that I might be able to train with her for the Country Music Half in April. Although I still half think that that’s just a pipe dream…

But while we walk I feel like I’ve gotten to know her better and we’ve been able to fellowship. Talking about our lives and struggles; what God is teaching us.

So while I’ve been struggling physically during this, and while I feel like I’m holding her back, Bev is being an awesome sister in Christ and bearing my burdens. And I am extremely grateful.

Oh, and this is our ‘running’ verse (well, 1 is… I just like 2 so much I added it for all of you!):

Hebrews 12:1-2

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

1 comment:

Auntie Kris said...

Way to go Joy! I've hopped on the healthy trail myself-oh, and meandered off-several times this past year in particular. It is when I have friends who lift me up with prayer, joy and bad ass accountability that I do my best. I am so glad that you have found someone who does the same for you!
Cheering for you from afar,
Kris