Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy 4th of July


I remember when I was a kid (I love these posts, don't you??). I remember every 4th of July since I can remember (until I moved away), waking up and going into my parents room. They kept our flag under their bed. It was in a long box with the 2 piece flag pole and the top was a gold American Eagle. I used to get it out and bring the box downstairs. Then I would help my dad put it together; at least until I could do it on my own, and I would hold the flag as high as I could to keep it from touching the ground. Then my dad and I would go outside and he would stand on a stool or chair and put the flag pole in its holder and tie it in really well. I remember feeling really proud the first time I was tall enough to put the flag up with my dad's help... That's the 4th of July to me. It's remembering. Remembering those who served and are serving, remembering our forefathers and all that they did to make us free, and remembering my family. The pride instilled in me to respect our flag and all of the things our country has gone through with it still flying. 

I hope you all have a wonderful, memory filled, Independence Day...

No comments: